We are a family of optical companies with a 100-year history of excellent relationships built on enduring trust and added value. Each of our businesses is guided by the same core principles and single vision: to be the most trusted business partner in the industry.
Walman Optical Company offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package, including: medical, dental, 401(k), and, because we are a 100% employee-owned company (ESOP), the structure to share in the profits of the company.
We are seeking motivated, quality employees looking for long term employment. If you fit this description and are interested in pursuing one of the opportunities listed here, please submit your resume and salary history to:
Walman | HR Department
801 12th Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55411
New Market Development Manager | Ultra Optics
Brooklyn Park, MN
Manage, maintain and grow Ultra Coating’s business within the use of scratch resistant coatings in industrial applications nationally and internationally. Research potential applications and communicate/educate customers about the value of coated parts in the application as compared to other technologies. Demonstrate a professional demeanor, indicate a high level of industry knowledge, and represent the company at trade functions. Travel is required, with the primary emphasis on travel inside the United States.
• Maintain business with an assigned territory.
• Obtain new business from existing and potential accounts within various non-ophthalmic industries.
• Close new business deals by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations.
• Account profiling to assess business potential and product opportunities.
• Meet or exceed all forecasted product objectives.
• Provide reporting within the time and information guidelines.
• Meet the established account manager objectives.
• Presentation of products and promotions to large groups.
• Conduct and develop business in a professional, cost effective, targeted manner.
• Communicate with management, peers and co-workers to maximize available resources.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS:
• College degree and five or more years of successful related sales experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proven track record of developing and growing businesses in new markets or applications.
• Professional communication skills; public speaking, listening, verbal & written proficiency.
• Creativity, flexibility and time management skills required.
• Must be able to travel. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record that complies with The Walman Optical Company Motor Vehicle Policy.
Service Advisor | Walman Instrument Division
St Paul, MN
Work Hours: Full-Time / Day Shift: Monday thru Friday
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for answering incoming calls from customers related to service work in progress. Make outbound calls to customers to update the status of their service work, obtain approval to proceed with repair and provide estimated turnaround time on repair. Manage all incoming and outgoing loaner equipment. Process daily work orders from the Inside Service Dept. Other responsibilities include preparing service quotations for customers, follow-up on previously submitted quotations and manage status of manufacturer repairs.
• High School diploma, GED or Equivalent, plus 2 years of relevant work experience.
• Must be organized and detail-oriented.
• Demonstrated ability to perform all clerical and computer. functions in support of the Instrument Service Dept.
• Good interpersonal skills with peers.
• Strong telephone skills with customers and vendors.
• This position requires exposure to one or more hazardous substances/chemicals which requires safety training.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be able to lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision.
Regulatory Associate | X-Cel Specialty Contacts
Project lead for the International Regulatory registration activities of both branches of the
Contact Lens Division ensuring compliance with requirements of all US and International
Quality System Regulations, including: cGMP, ISO13485:2016, Medical Device Directive,
FDA Code of Federal Regulations, and MDSAP.
• Interact with international authorized representative in preparing documentation for international registrations; providing product information, Practitioner’s Fitting Guides, consumer information, technical literature searches to support registration, changes in product literature, packaging changes and other regulatory activities.
• Request FDA’s Certificate to Foreign Governments for exporting products and arrange with US Legalization Apostille, Embassy stamp of approvals, and Chamber of Commerce approvals, as required.
• Quality Assurance/Regulatory contact person for international accounts regarding complaints and quality concerns.
• Follow and assist with training of all employees on Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) including good documentation practices.
• Review, approve and file batch records and sterilization charts. Perform label inspection and troubleshoot any issues that arise during labeling. Release sterilized product for distribution and shipping.
• Create issue and maintain document controls including DMR, work orders, SOPs, labels, protocols, raw material specs, sterilization reports, FDA files, and logbooks.
• Inspect and test raw materials and components for production.
• Oversee vendor audit reports and documentation as well as assist in conducting internal audits.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years of medical device industry experience.
• Bilingual skills; English and Spanish a must (writing, translating & listening skills required).
• Position also requires flexibility, good organizational skills, and detail orientation.
Product Development Coordinator | Nouveau Eyewear
The Product Development Coordinator is responsible for creative design and development of
eyewear collections (licensed brands and private label) for direct, wholesale, and alternate
channels of business as well key retail accounts, under the direction of the Director of Product
•Implement product design and development as directed based on cost and sales objectives, sourcing guidelines, trends/competitive research, licensor commitments and customer requirements.
•Responsible for development of assigned brands/projects within the typical 8-12 month process of development to launch. This includes: Providing clear communication to manufacturers, prototype sample maintenance, and product follow through from concept to launch.
•Perform style, trend and competitive analysis on a frequent basis to ensure knowledgeable product design/development recommendations. This includes: Monthly customer and competitive store visits, ongoing web research, accompany sales reps on sales calls, and ongoing communication and alignment with sales and marketing teams.
•Prepare and participate in manufacturer development meetings; Maintain project status report to ensure all projects are documented and timelines are followed. Coordinate onsite meetings.
•Prepare for and participate in customer meetings, presentations and trade shows as needed; Prepare samples and provide negotiated costs to sales reps.
•Assist in planning and participate in strategic sales meetings; Prepare product training materials for sales, in coordination with marketing team.
•Perform other duties as assigned.
•Bachelors’ Degree, preferably in Fashion Design plus two years of experience in product design/development in optical or apparel/accessories; or equivalent combination of education and experience
•Strong verbal and written communication skills and effective interpersonal skills.
•Must have effective presentation and public speaking skills
•Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of products
•Must be detail oriented, efficiency driven and adaptable.
Vendor Scheduler | Ultra Optics
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ensure the timely delivery of quality goods and services to support manufacturing and operations. This position will require coordination with Operations, Sales and Office Management to understand the needs across the various functions. This position will work closely with our vendors to find cost savings opportunities as well as improving the general supply of materials. Coordinates with other departments in handling purchase orders and providing service to customers. Acts as a back-up for incoming customer service calls when needed.
•High School Diploma, GED or equivalent; plus two years of purchasing/vendor scheduling work experience.
•PC skills, preferably Microsoft Office Suite, and integrated software system experience, preferably JD Edwards.
•Must be organized and detail-oriented with strong verbal and written communication skills.
•Ability to perform all clerical and computer functions in support of this position’s duties.
•Must be able to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
Customer Service Representative -Revolution | Nouveau Eyewear
JOB SUMMARY: Receives requests for orders and lead times from customers and sales reps; keys orders, and relays pertinent order information to customers and sales reps.
•Receives telephone requests for orders, order changes, adjustments and cancellations directly from customers and sales people.
•Achieves and maintains rapport with customers and works to give them the best possible service.
•Uses a PC to retrieve customer information, stock status information, status of purchase orders and to make changes on customer purchase orders.
•Ensures that correct codes are used for retrieving and inputting information.
•Follows up on inquiries by checking for delivery information.
•Performs quality control on orders for accuracy.
•Checks with credit department concerning credit status of customer when rush orders are received.
•Performs other duties as assigned
•Position requires High School diploma or equivalent, plus one year of relevant work experience.
•Requires strong verbal and written communication skills.
•Requires professional ethics, tact and courtesy in dealing with internal & external customers.
•Basic computer skills are necessary including Microsoft Word & Excel.
Laboratory Branch Manager | Walman Optical
Overall leadership and managerial responsibility for the efficient operation and production of an Ophthalmic Laboratory serving the account base in such a way as to expand and sustain the growth of the branch. Additionally, the Branch Manager is responsible for laboratory profitability and maintenance of a TEAM environment among the office and production staff in the service to our accounts.
• Must be technically sound and have familiarity with lab functions for the production of ophthalmic lenses;
• Working knowledge of inventory control methods, P & L statements and production work flow;
• Strong personal leadership and communication skills;
• Ability to build/manage employee team...hire, train, coach and motivate personnel;
• Maintain a safe work environment in compliance with OSHA standards;
• Ability to interface with customer accounts and sales team...retain, develop and foster customer relations.
• Management/Assistant Management experience
• Minimum 5 years hands-on laboratory production experience; Surfacing &/or Finishing
• Training in optical technology or equivalent manufacturing industry experience
• Digital Vision Inc. (DVI) Operating System software experience a major plus
Field Service Technician | Walman Instrument Division
Colorado/Rocky Mountain Region
This position may be home based out of Denver, CO or surrounding area.
Perform on-site service and sales support at customer location. Prepare service report, details product problems encountered, service work completed and replacement parts used. Obtains customer authorization for service work to be completed based upon estimated costs. Has regular communication with customers & vendors.
• Demonstrated mechanical and/or electrical aptitude
• Understanding of mechanical/electrical schematics/drawings
• Understanding of ophthalmic instrumentation, hydraulic systems and printed circuit
• 3 years of experience with ophthalmic/medical instrumentation
-Recent graduates with an Associates' Degree in Electronics Technology or Biomedical Technology programs are encouraged to apply
• Strong interpersonal skills with customers and vendors
• Willingness to travel up to 60% of the time; with overnight stays
• Valid driver’s license & driving record that complies with the Walman Optical Co. Motor Vehicle Policy
• Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
• Perform on-site service and sales support at customer locations
• Prepare service estimates and receipts for invoicing
• Maintain time log data sheets
• Telephone communications with both customers and vendors
• Regular travel is a requirement of the position
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Strategic Account Representative | Walman Instrument Division
Midwest Territory - Based in Minneapolis / St. Paul
To assist Management and Sales Representatives in generating strategic medical technology sales to key accounts and institutions, and to serve as the direct contact for said accounts for all sales, customer service and technical support.
•Responsible for “Areas of Accountability” as defined in the Sales/Service Representative position;
•Responsible for building relationships with key decision makers within qualified strategic accounts, and act as liaison and point of contact for said accounts for advanced technology sales, customer service and technical support issues;
•Comprehensive analysis of business opportunities and threats;
•Direct field and in-house training for accounts;
•Conduct meetings, presentations and seminars with accounts;
•Travel required respective to on-site visits in accordance with assigned duties and responsibilities.
•4 year college degree or work experience commensurate with the position requirements;
•Minimum three years in sales of a complex nature and/or sales supervisory experience;
•Strong organizational, interpersonal management and communication skills;
•Basic PC computer skills… Microsoft Windows and Office;
•Willing to travel extensively by company automobile and air;
•Must possess and maintain valid driver’s license and driving record that complies with the Walman Motor Vehicle Policy.
•Must be able to lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
Product Engineer | Ultra Optics
Brooklyn Park, MN
Manage and execute engineering projects involving the design, development, maintenance and integration of optical coating equipment and processes.
•Conceptual design, development and fabrication of coating processes and equipment.
•Responsible for mechanical, controls/electrical and software design projects.
•Exploration and validation of new technology to be incorporated in our products.
•Responsible for all CAD Drawings, BOM’s, procedures, etc. and their control to support production and procurement of components from suppliers.
•Develop and conduct test and evaluation of new concepts, components and designs.
•Supervise personnel assigned to assist in engineering projects. Work with manufacturing team to develop coating process and fixtures for custom parts.
Design workflow and part/product movement for production.
•Troubleshoot all mechanical, electrical and software related production equipment and process issues.
•Create and maintain product manuals.
•Perform other duties as assigned.
•Some travel required. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record that complies with the Walman Optical Company Motor Vehicle Policy.
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS:
•4 year College degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field and a minimum of 5-10 years of directly related engineering experience.
•Experience with electro-mechanical controls and systems required.
•Solid modeling design and drafting capability strongly desired.
Senior Programmer/Analyst/DBA | Walman IS Dept.
JOB SUMMARY: Senior-level programmer/analyst responsible for in-house and commercial solutions in a predominately Microsoft environment. Position encompasses the full solution development life-cycle including analysis, design, development, testing and implementation. Advanced data analysis and SQL database design/administration skills are essential. Frequently communicates (verbally and in writing) with employees, customers and vendors on both technical and business topics. Additional duties may include project management, business intelligence/reporting and web services development.
BS Degree in Computer Science and a minimum of 5 years work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience accompanied with a thorough, in-depth and specialized knowledge in the following:
• Advanced application/database design, development and maintenance techniques
• Advanced business and technical analysis methods
• Advanced working knowledge of the Microsoft development environment including Operating Systems, SQL Server Databases, development tools and utilities
• Comprehensive, full life-cycle business solution delivery
Additional requisite knowledge includes the following:
• General understanding of enterprise-class operations, structures and support
• Applied project planning and management
• Ability to analyze data and present derived results/conclusions
• Applied data warehouse theory (schema models, ETL processes, optimization)
• General knowledge inter-process communications (API’s, web services)
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Solution design, development, implementation and maintenance
• Business and technical analysis and presentation
• Data analytics and reporting
• Database design, development and administration
• Project management
• Train, mentor and share knowledge with co-workers.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Protected Veteran Status. The company grants reasonable accommodations to qualified disabled individuals in accordance with applicable law.
To request that the company consider granting an accommodation, please contact the Walman - Human Resources Department at 612.520.6021.